Saturday, November 28, 2009

# 2 - THE PROMISE WITH THE OLD MAN


As those who know me, I was kinda emo person, not very positive, but in nursing, I have to, and it helps me to become a more positive person through other people.

A deeper talk with the old man who was so aggressive that day,

Old man:" I don't want to suffer anymore, to me, if there's pain, it's suffering. I don't want to live, i want to die, every when I close my eyes, I will tell GOD that,' GOD please bring me to another place without pain, I'm ready to go, please bring me, Amen!' "

Nurse M:" No uncle, you can't think like that, GOD has His purpose and timing, you cannot pray like that."

Son:'' You think that to close your eyes is so easy?"

Me:" Uncle, please be positive, be strong and trust GOD, go for dialysis, and you will get to spend more time with your grandchildren, and enjoy yourself."

Old man:" No No, that's not the happiness that I want, I don't want it, I... I want to die! In fact, I want to commit suicide, I have 2 poisonous pills, I want to take it and go."

Nurse M:" Uncle, please don't be like that, see, auntie was so sad and angry with you just now."

Old man:" I don't care, let her be, she will enjoy herself, I will enjoy myself. "

Nurse M:" Uncle, do you still want to see your grandchildren growing up, getting married?"

Old man:" I love my grandchildren, they are very good in studies, I always give them money when I see them. They are very good la..."

Me:'' Then you have to quickly get well, and enjoy your time with them, I'm sure they will be sad if you leave them, so as your wife and your children. Do you want to make them sad?"

Old man:" Hmm... Hmm.... ( He looked a bit moved, quiet down after the argument just now.)"

Nurse M:" Uncle, do you want to see me and Jasmine to get married? "

Old man:" Ya, of course, if you invite me, I will definitely come, and don't worry I will give each of you a RM 1000 angpao!! Hahaha!"

Me:" Wow! That's very good of you, so you must promise us to follow what your son has planned for you, go for treatment and dialysis, and then be positive and strong. Can you do that?"

Old man:" Haiya...."

Nurse M:" Come, cross little finger with us!"

So we crossed our finger with his, and made a promise. Yes!!! Mutual agreement was done!

After half an hour, his son came back and asked us how's his decision. He was a bit surprised to see my big thumb raising up.

Son:" Pa, so what's your decision?"

Old man:" I... I consider first la, when I see the doctor, I will let him know la."

Me:" Hey uncle, you've promised not to hurt your children anymore, since they love you so much, willing to pay as much as they can just to make you recover, and now you don't change your words ya..."

Nurse M:" Yup, uncle, you said that you are going to tell your son what you've promised us, and you will get well soon and attend our wedding, tell your son now, faster! Don't make him disappointed."

Old man:" Ok la, Son, I love you, and I didn't mean to hurt you. Where is your mother? How's she?"

Son:" She's sitting at the lobby downstairs."

Old man:" No choice la, I have made lots of promise with these 2 girls. They have been encouraging me."

Son:" Of course, they are concerned about your well-being, if they are not caring, they will not talk to you. So you please go for treatment."

The son is a very soft-spoken man, according to the old man, all his children are successful in the marketplace with PhD. I solute him for his patience towards his dad, and his love for his father, of course the other children are also paying to support the medical fees.

Just before we transfer the old man out from ICU to the normal wards, we had a short talk.

Old man:" 2 of you later don't run away ya, I've asked my son to prepare 2 big angpao for you, must take, don't push back, just take it quietly."

Nurse M and Me:" No uncle, we cannot take your money, you keep it for yourself."

Old man:" I have too much, cannot finish also. Nobody knows that I have 3 socks at the lowest drawer, I keep all my money inside, nobody knows. I can't finish my money, I must give 2 of you, I will give those who are good and nice to me. 2 of you just now helped me to change pampers and wiped my buttocks, I must give you."

Me:" No uncle, that's our job, we will do the same to other patients."

Nurse M:" Ya, correct, please uncle, just keep for yourself."

Old man:" You just take it later, don't make aunty unhappy. Just take it and keep quiet la."

As he's talking, we pushed him out from ICU.

Old man:" I don't want to go to other ward can? I want to stay here, I love this place, quiet, and the nurses here are good and gentle."

Nurse M:" Cannot la uncle, ICU is for close monitoring, now you are better and well, so you can go to the normal ward."

Old man:" I'm not well yet, push me back la. Who made the decision? My son? Call my son now, I want to scold him, why he made decision without asking me???"

Me:" Uncle, relax la, in the ward your wife can be with you the whole day, no time limits, and your grandchildren can go and visit you. You are happy and well now, don't worry, we'll pay you a visit tomorrow, ok?"

Old man:" Hmm, make sure you come, I will give you angpao."

nurse M:" Haiyo, uncle..."

Sent the old man to the ward and settled him on the bed there. His son and wife has gone for lunch, he's alone there quietly, looked calm but a bit upset.

I felt the same too Uncle, after 3 days taking care of him and talking to him just now, gradually treated him as part of my family, wanting him to cooperate an get well soon.

Working is so tiring, but the joy and the relationship that I've gained with patients is so precious to me. I thank GOD that I'm able to get in touch with people every day so closely, and I'm able to touch lives with my doings. No matter how dirty, and smelly it is, I always tell myself that , "Jasmine, do it as though you are doing for GOD." Thank GOD that I've overcome it.

Uncle, please stay well and healthy, your children and filial and loving, I must learn to be like them to my own parents. As for my wedding, Uncle is my VVIP, so please take good care of yourself. GOD bless him.




1 comment: